Earrings, Necklace, Hairpin
5'3" (1.6 meters) in heels
She made her first appearance on February 14th, 2013, in the "White" Trailer, in which she was performing "Mirror Mirror" while having a flashback of a fight with the Giant Armor, both of which presumably took place at White Castle.
Weiss appears as a young girl, dressed primarily in light blue, white, and some red. She wears a pale blue bolero jacket over a similarly colored thigh-length dress with a piece of black lace making up the neckline of the dress. The inside of the bolero is red and the sleeves turn blue as they get closer to her wrists. The back of the bolero displays the Schnee Crest, which bears a resemblance to a snowflake. The same design seems to appear when she uses her Semblance. According to Weiss, her dress is a combat skirt, which Ruby Rose also wears.
Weiss wears an apple-shaped necklace along with a pair of thin, rectangular earrings. She wears white, heeled wedge boots that go to mid-calf; the insides are also lined with red. Her long white hair is pulled back in an off-center ponytail, at the base of which is a small tiara that resembles icicles. She has a pale complexion and ice blue eyes. She also bears a crooked scar down her left eye.
Weiss also wears a small bag on the back of her dress, wrapped around her waist with a ribbon, possibly containing Dust crystals or vials, respective to the colors on Myrtenaster.
Her sleepwear is a faded bluish sleeping gown with short sleeves and white trimmings, and her logo on the upper-right chest.
Alternate Outfit (SnowPea)Edit
During the events of "A Minor Hiccup" and "Painting the Town...", Weiss wears a pure white dress with black edging and two columns of four black buttons on the abdomen. Much like on the bolero of her original outfit, there is a print of her snowflake emblem on her back, in pale blue this time, rather than white.
The inside of the skirt portion of the dress contains black frills. She also wears thigh-high, white high-heel boots with frilly black thigh-high stockings that come up slightly above the top of her boots.
This outfit was codenamed "SnowPea".
Weiss wears the same shoes, skirt, blouse and blazer as every other girl attending Beacon Academy, though her stockings/socks are shorter and reach half way to the knee.
Monty Oum has said that everything has been decided for her in her life, and because of it, she is a bit of a rebel. It even manages to manifest itself in her physical appearance as she wears her ponytail to the side of her head, disrupting the symmetry of the rest of her outfit. Despite her rebelliousness, she does not seem to be hostile to her family or the SDC. However, Weiss talks little of her family, nor does she ever bring up the subject, keeping such part of her life hidden. She also brushes off any mention of her family, as seen when she contacted her company's headquarters in Atlas, refusing to talk to her dad and sister for reasons unknown. Still, she will defend if offended, including her company, as seen with Blake Belladonna during their first encounter.
Considering the lyrics of her leitmotif "Mirror Mirror", it is very likely that Weiss felt very lonely throughout her life. Her initially cold attitude towards Ruby and anyone she doesn't consider a close friend may be a sign that she's very unused to the concept of a true friend due to her difficult childhood. In "The Stray", it confirms at the very least that due to the constant attacks by the White Fang her life became much harder than it should have been, explaining her often difficult personality. When she does befriend somebody though, she can warm up to a surprising degree, placing a great deal of trust in her friends and opening up to them when she feels the need, though remaining her usual strict self most of the time.
According to her voice actress, Kara Eberle, Weiss is "nice but can also be a little bit bitchy". She is irritable and confident in her abilities, though also acknowledges her deficiencies and the need to hone her skills further. Her confidence in her skills and intellect often comes off as arrogance to others. This is also mentioned by Kara, who called her the "know-it-all" type of person who also can become best friends with her acquaintances.
Weiss remains calm and collected during an encounter and mentally coaches herself. She is thoughtful and fights with precision and coordination. She is analytical and tactical when in battle, waiting for the right moment to strike and retreating when circumstances are not favorable.
Weiss seems to take her time at Beacon more seriously than her teammates, being far more studious than them. She is often taking notes even when the topic is not very closely related to the knowledge she seeks, and is annoyed by people who don't take their classes seriously. Her lecturing Ruby when they first met about her being too young and them being there to fight monsters also demonstrates her more serious attitude about becoming a Huntress. She also seemed intent in the beginning on becoming a popular standout student at Beacon, which is the reason why she seeks out Pyrrha Nikos before the Beacon Academy Initiation in hopes of gaining her friendship.
In "The Badge and The Burden, Pt.2", Peter Port argues that Weiss has received everything she has ever wanted in her life. He suggests this is the reason for Weiss' hostile behavior towards Ruby's being chosen for Team Leader instead of herself. Weiss acknowledges that she has usually gotten her way, but indicates that this is not always the case.
After speaking with the Professor, Weiss' attitude appears to change, as she takes his suggestion to "be the best person [she] can be" to heart. As a result, she decides to become more friendly with Ruby and tells her she believes she can be a good leader. She even mentions to Ruby that she had always wanted bunk beds growing up, contrasting greatly with her original outward opinion of the beds. Despite warming up to Ruby, in "Forever Fall, Pt.2", Weiss still shows a tendency to insult Ruby when she makes mistakes.
Despite her personality, Weiss does not lack a whimsical or humorous side, as she joined her team in a food fight against Team JNPR, emerging victorious, and was later seen laughing with her team afterwards. She also joined her team in a board game, but grew to dislike it after losing to Yang Xiao Long, "crying" afterwards with Ruby. In "Painting the Town...", Weiss makes an attempt at a joke, but fails, and is met with negative criticism from Yang and Blake, though they note that she's at least trying. Weiss also seems to enjoy participating in certain events, as seen in "Extracurricular", where she and Yang are in charge of preparing the Beacon Dance.
It can be inferred that Weiss' status as an heiress takes a toll on her personality, being a huge burden. When contacting the Schnee Company World Headquarters, before her call was answered, Weiss was shown with a disappointed expression and feigned smile, and after it ended, Weiss gave another similar downed expression, possibly due to her father, as she did not want to talk to him. Her status as the heiress also puts her under the impression that people would only date her due to her fame, which may contribute to her continued rejection of Jaune Arc's advances. This in term also goes with her reasons into being a Huntress, mostly because she wants to live up to her family's legacy, but not before adding that there is more to it than that.
However, she seemed unsure of this when questioned by Bartholomew Oobleck prior to her conversation with Blake and Yang. In addition, Weiss states that as Huntresses they have to put what they want last and the lives of other people first, those being the ones they protect. Weiss continues that for her family, vowing that she would not allow her father to be the end of the Schnee family's honor despite the SDC's transition into a moral gray area beneath his command, indicating that she wants to make things right. Weiss then resolves to put her job as a Huntress first and her own desires second, inspiring the rest of the team to do so as well.
Views on the White Fang and FaunusEdit
Due to the ongoing violence between the SDC and the White Fang terrorist group, Weiss despises the White Fang and shows a noticeable distrust of the Faunus. The White Fang's activities seem to have contributed to a difficult childhood for Weiss, as she had close ties with numerous people who were either killed by or disappeared because of the White Fang.
The fact that the White Fang have been consistently disrupting the SDC's activities has also led to Weiss' father being frequently angry, further worsening her childhood. She cites these events as having colored her views on both the White Fang and Faunus. This is first shown when she begins talking about the White Fang in "The Stray", ranting about them in occasionally hyperbolic terms to the consternation of her teammate Blake, unaware that she was a former member of the group.
Weiss' past experiences are shown to affect how she views Faunus in general when she makes many derogatory comments about Sun Wukong because of his minor criminal acts. Furthermore, when Blake defends him, Weiss suggests he would likely just end up joining with the White Fang. However, shortly after the fight with Roman Torchwick, Weiss seems to no longer care about her argument with Blake, stating they are teammates and it changes nothing. However, she states that she's still not sure how she feels about Sun, although they seem to be on friendlier terms as time passes. Knowing that Blake is a Faunus, such fact is kept a secret by Weiss and her team, including Team JNPR.
Weiss' hostility towards the Faunus seems to have downgraded considerably since arriving at Beacon, as seen when she showed concern for Velvet Scarlatina and the rest of Team CFVY. She may be on friendly terms with the latter. She is even friendlier with Blake, having placed trust in her as well.
Abilities and PowersEdit
As the heiress of the Schnee Dust Company, Weiss was raised from youth to strive to be the best in all she did, and combat was no exception. As a testament to her skills, Weiss was on the top ranking of the sparing class during the events of the Vytal Festival.
Like many Hunters before her, Weiss has had her aura unlocked, coating her body with a shield powered by her soul. As long as that shield remains, she cannot be wounded, although she can still feel pain when struck.
WeaponEditWeiss's weapon of choice is Myrtenaster, a Multi-Action Dust Rapier. The rapier has a revolving chamber inside the guard, which has six slots in total, each of which contains a vial of Dust. The revolving chamber is constantly stocked with red, cyan, violet, white, yellow, and blue Dust.
Weiss utilizes the Dust in combat, either in raw form or in conjunction with her semblance to create various effects that suit the situation. When not using Myrtenaster as a dust supplier, Weiss utilizes her speed to dodge attacks and her sword to deliver damage through quick thrusts that leave little room for counters.
One of Weiss' most notable abilities is her Semblance, which allows her to create Glyphs that can be used in a variety of ways: create a slippery platform to skate on at high speed, generate midair platforms to manipulate her trajectory in the air and perform limited time dilation, to name a few.
With mastery, a Schnee also has the ability to summon avatars of the foes that they've defeated. In the episode "Heroes and Monsters", Weiss exhibits this ability once, as she unintentionally summons the arm of the Giant Armor she defeated in "White Trailer" to protect Velvet Scarlatina. Nevertheless, she struggles to demonstrate this ability, and she says "it's the only thing [she's] been having trouble with" to her sister.
In the series, Weiss' glyphs have appeared in a variety of colors for unknown reasons. So far, blue, black, white, and red normal glyphs have been shown, as well as a yellow "haste" glyph with a clock design.
Weiss frequently demonstrates the ability to combine Dust with her semblance, in order to direct the movement and manifestation of it, such as in "Players and Pieces", where she does this to create a curved wall of ice between Ruby and the Death Stalker's stinger.
Weiss has shown a preference for ice Dust, only switching types if it provides her with an advantage, such as using wind Dust against sonic based attacks.
Weiss seems to have limited endurance, as seen in "The Emerald Forest", after Ruby and Weiss are forced to retreat from a pack of Beowolves after a forest fire; Weiss is shown to be panting in exhaustion while Ruby still seems to be fully energized.
The biggest sign of her lack of endurance, however, is her inability to take heavy hits. Out of everyone on her team, she has been knocked out the most, such as by Nora's big hit with her watermelon hammer during the food fight, and the White Fang Lieutenant smashing her head into the ground.
- Weiss alludes to Snow White from the fairy tale of the same name.
- Her name translates literally to "White Snow" in German.
- "Mirror Mirror", her song in the "White" Trailer, makes reference to the mirror that plays a large part in the story of Snow White.
- Her role as the heiress to the Schnee Dust Company may allude to Snow White's affiliation with the seven dwarves, who were jewel miners.
- Monty stated that the pendant on her necklace is shaped like an apple, and in "Jaunedice", Weiss' meal consists of only an apple. These are references to Snow White and the poisoned apple.
- Interestingly, Weiss' name does not connote a phrase in German. The actual descriptive phrase "white snow" would translate to "weißer Schnee" or "schneeweiß" in German.
- According to Monty, Weiss fights with fencing because he studied fencing.
- Weiss' voice actor, Kara Eberle, compares her to both Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series.
- During an "Ask Me Anything" question and answer session on the Rooster Teeth website, Kara said that Weiss' favorite season is Winter, her favorite color is baby blue, and her favorite ice cream flavor is blueberry frozen yogurt. Also, if given the choice between fighting 1 horse-sized duck or 100 duck-sized horses, she would rather fight 1 horse-sized duck.
- When asked about how Weiss received her scar, Kara simply stated that viewers would "find out".
- It is currently unknown how Weiss gained the scar over her left eye. While it initially appears that the scar came as a result of her fight with the Giant Armor in the "White" Trailer, the scar is visible next to the streak of blood on her face after she is punched.
- However, there are conflicting results when the trailer is viewed frame by frame or at 0.25 speed.
- At the very beginning of the fight, as the Giant Armor prepares its first attack, Weiss has her scar. This is at about 1:05 or 1:06 in the trailer.
- From that point, all the way up to when she starts to bleed, every time that her left eye is visible, there is no scar.
- When she first starts to bleed, there is no scar, but as the blood flows down her cheek, the scar appears. From that point on, the scar is visible beside her blood.
- However, there are conflicting results when the trailer is viewed frame by frame or at 0.25 speed.
- Despite her name being German, the 'W' in her first name, as well as the 'nee' part of her last name are not pronounced as they would be in German. Monty stated that this is because real-world countries, such as Germany, do not exist in Remnant.
- In the offical artwork shown at the end of each trailer, she is holding Myrtenaster in her right hand, despite being left handed. This is because the drawings in the Team RWBY composite are early concepts.
- However, the artwork of Weiss in the composite seems to be an edited version of the original Weiss concept art. In the original concept art, she has a beauty mark instead of a scar and is holding a silhouette of Myrtenaster that seems to have a somewhat different shape than the final version.
- She has her own official Twitter account at RT_WeissSchnee, like Ruby and Yang which are currently inactive.
- She has admitted to Ruby that she always wanted bunk beds as a child.
- Weiss is often addressed by nicknames, being called "Princess", "Snow Angel" or "Ice Queen" by Ruby, Jaune, Neptune, Sun, Yang and even Roman Torchwick and the White Fang Lieutenant.
- The "Ice Queen" nickname is also given by Qrow Branwen to Weiss' sister, Winter.
- ↑ Monty Oum's Twitter
- ↑ RT Recap, Week of Feb 17th
- ↑ Rooster Teeth Podcast #203, Feb 29th, 2013
- ↑ RWBY: "White" Trailer, 14th February 2013
- ↑ Monty Oum's Facebook
- ↑ Monty Oum's Twitter
- ↑ Monty Oum's Twitter
- ↑ RWBY Video Game Hour Live Interviews
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Kara Eberle's Rooster Teeth Journal
- ↑ RWBY Pre-Show Livestream