Most often, they are based on real-life weapons, but they can be combined with other weapons or given additional features to increase their versatility and effectiveness in combat.
Though standard weapons exist, the majority of weapons shown in RWBY are usually designed to be transformable, using a foldable frame - a framework capable of shifting various sections to change the weapon from one form into another in mere seconds. Weapons with a foldable frame possess two or more selected forms, and the wielder is capable of freely swapping between each weapon state depending on their needs.
Typically, such weapons would have both a melee state and a ranged combat state, but are not necessarily limited to those specific types of attacks while in each state. Weapons can also have an inactive state known as a "sheathed" form, locking and securing the weapon while outside of combat, similar to the safety catch of a firearm. For example, Crescent Rose and Ember Celica shrink down to be holstered and carried easily, while Crocea Mors and Gambol Shroud both have separate sheaths to make them easy to carry.
Some weapons are shown to be fueled by Dust for a more "magical" style of combat. By doing so, Huntsmen combine brute force with effects like object enchantment and elemental attacks such as weather and nature manipulation.
All of the known weapons incorporate Dust into their designs, either by utilizing Dust into an attack, as seen with Myrtenaster, or using Dust in the form of bullets or ammunition. It is implied that all "firearms" in Remnant use Dust ammunition.
These weapons, while all but impossible to create in reality, seem to be moderately easy to construct for the citizens of Remnant. Ruby had to design and build her weapon during her time at Signal Academy, and she expressed surprise at Jaune Arc for not making his own, indicating this is a common practice among future Huntsmen in Remnant.
List of WeaponsEdit
|Crescent Rose||Ruby Rose||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Scythe, Sniper-Rifle|
|Myrtenaster||Weiss Schnee||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Rapier, Revolver|
|Gambol Shroud||Blake Belladonna||Melee, Ranged||Katana, Cleaver, Pistol, Kusarigama|
|Ember Celica||Yang Xiao Long||Melee, Ranged||Gauntlets, Shotgun|
|Crocea Mors||Jaune Arc||Melee, Defensive||Longsword, Shield, Sheath|
|Magnhild||Nora Valkyrie||Melee, Ranged||War Hammer, Grenade Launcher|
|Miló and Akoúo̱||Pyrrha Nikos||Melee, Ranged, Defensive||Javelin, Xiphos, Rifle, Shield|
|StormFlower||Lie Ren||Melee, Ranged||Dual SMGs, Wind and Fire Blades|
|Coco's Handbag||Coco Adel||Melee, Ranged||Handbag, Minigun|
|Fox's Weapons||Fox Alistair||Melee||Tonfa|
|Velvet's Weapon||Velvet Scarlatina||Melee, Ranged||Box, Camera, Copy|
|Yatsuhashi's Sword||Yatsuhashi Daichi||Melee||Sword|
|Cardin's Mace||Cardin Winchester||Melee, Dust||Mace|
|Russel's Daggers||Russel Thrush||Melee, Dust||Daggers|
|Dove's Sword||Dove Bronzewing||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Revolver|
|Sky's Halberd||Sky Lark||Melee||Halberd|
|Ruyi Bang and Jingu Bang||Sun Wukong||Melee, Ranged||Staff, Nunchaku, Lever Action Shotgun|
|Scarlet's Weapons||Scarlet David||Melee, Ranged||Flintlock Pistol, Cutlass, Grappling Hook|
|Sage's Weapon||Sage Ayana||Melee||Sword|
|Neptune's Gun||Neptune Vasilias||Ranged, Melee||Guandao, Trident, Rifle|
|Arslan's Weapon||Arslan Altan||Melee||Rope Dart, Dagger|
|Bolin's Staff||Bolin Hori||Melee||Staff, Blades|
|Reese's Hoverboard||Reese Chloris||Melee, Ranged||Hoverboard, Dual Revolvers|
|Nadir's Gun||Nadir Shiko||Ranged, Melee||Assault Rifle, Sword|
|Brawnz's Claws||Brawnz Ni||Melee||Claws|
|Roy's Saws||Roy Stallion||Melee, Ranged||Circular Saws|
|Nolan's Weapon||Nolan Porfirio||Melee||Cattle Prod|
|May's Rifle||May Zedong||Ranged, Melee||Sniper Rifle, Axe|
|Nebula's Crossbow||Nebula Violette||Ranged, Melee||Crossbow, Sword|
|Dew's Spear||Dew Gayl||Melee, Dust||Spear|
|Gwen's Knives||Gwen Darcy||Ranged, Melee||Knives|
|Octavia's Dagger||Octavia Ember||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Kris|
|Penny's Swords||Penny Polendina||Melee, Ranged||Swords, Guns, Puppet Strings|
|Flynt's Trumpet||Flynt Coal||Ranged||Trumpet|
|Neon's Nunchaku||Neon Katt||Melee, Dust||Nunchaku|
|Ozpin's Cane||Ozpin||Melee||Walking Stick|
|Glynda's Crop||Glynda Goodwitch||Dust||Riding Crop|
|Port's Blunderbuss||Peter Port||Melee, Ranged||Axe, Blunderbuss|
|Oobleck's Thermos||Bartholomew Oobleck||Melee, Ranged||Thermos, Club, Flamethrower|
|Ironwood's Revolver||James Ironwood||Ranged||Revolver|
|Winter's Weapon||Winter Schnee||Melee||Sword|
|Raven's Sword||Raven Branwen||Melee, Dust||Ōdachi|
|Harbinger||Qrow Branwen||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Shotgun, Scythe|
|Leonardo's Weapon||Leonardo Lionheart||Defensive, Ranged, Dust||Shield|
|Amber's Staff||Amber||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Staff|
|Vernal's Weapons||Vernal||Melee, Ranged||Wind and Fire Blades, Gun, Dust|
|Junior's Bazooka||Junior Xiong||Melee, Ranged||Rocket Launcher, Club|
|Melanie's Heels||Melanie Malachite||Melee||High-heeled Boots|
|Miltia's Claws||Miltia Malachite||Melee||Claws|
|Cinder's Weapon||Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blades, Bow|
|Melodic Cudgel||Roman Torchwick||Ranged, Melee||Cane, Flare Gun, Grappling Hook|
|Emerald's Weapons||Emerald Sustrai||Melee, Ranged||Dual Revolvers, Sickles, Kusarigama|
|Mercury's Boots||Mercury Black||Melee, Ranged||Boots, Guns|
|Neopolitan's Umbrella||Neopolitan||Melee, Defensive||Umbrella, Estoc, Shield|
|Tyrian's Wrist Blades||Tyrian Callows||Melee, Ranged||Wrist Blades, Guns|
|Wilt and Blush||Adam Taurus||Melee, Ranged||Rifle, Chokutō|
|Lieutenant's Chainsaw||White Fang Lieutenant||Melee||Chainsaw|
|Ilia's Weapon||Ilia Amitola||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blade, Whip, Gun|
|Corsac and Fennec's Daggers||Corsac Albain, Fennec Albain||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Dagger|
- Handgun - Handguns used by the Henchmen, Vale Police Department detectives, White Fang Goons, Atlesian soldiers and the representation of the Atlas in the World of Remnant episode "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Tommy Gun - The standard firearm wielded by the DJ in Junior's Club.
- Revolver Knife- Shay D. Mann uses a revolver with a knife strapped on it in "Lighting the Fire".
- Red-gray rifle- Briefly used by a Henchman in "Ruby Rose" and also used by White Fang Goons.
- Rifle - Standard issue for the Atlesian military. Used by the Atlesian Knight-200 series in "Breach". Also seen slung over the backs of Atlesian soldiers.
- Swords - Used by White Fang Goons, Atlesian soldiers, the representation of Vale in the "Vytal Festival Tournament", a yellow and four gray figures representing huntsman in "Huntsmen".
- Fire Sword - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon Academy student.
- Sickle sword - Used by White Fang member in "Battle of Beacon".
- Axes and red swords - The various weapons wielded by the Henchmen.
- A large two-handed double-bladed axe wielded by a neutral huntsman in "Huntsman"
- Staves - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Collapsible Staff - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon Academy student.
- Spears - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants and the representation of Vacuo in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Flail - Used by a Vytal Festival Tournament contestant from Atlas in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Kitten Killer 9000 - Used by Cinder's Faction In RWBY Chibi .
- Death Ray - Used by Neo and Roman Torchwick in "Roman's Revenge", the 20th episode of RWBY Chibi.
- Kunai - Used by a mercenary in Mistral (WoR episode)
- When asked by a fan at the RTX 2013 RWBY Panel if there were going to be any weapons that would not double as a gun, Kerry Shawcross asked why they would want that, and then the panel continued on to state that they should actually create a "Gun-Gun".
- There is an entire weapons magazine that seems to be dedicated on articles regarding weapons, of which Ruby is apparently a fan, as she read through Issue 228 at From Dust Till Dawn.
- ↑ RWBY Volume 1 Director's Commentary