Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Qrow Branwen alludes to Muninn, a raven who flies around the world gathering information for Odin. Specifically, he alludes to the poem Grímnismál. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and show:
- Qrow is named after a very similar bird to the type that Muninn is. There is no consistent distinction between crows and ravens, beyond their size and basic appearance, and both are of the genus Corvus.
- In the scene in "Burning the Candle" where Yang Xiao Long tells Blake Belladonna about her search for Raven Branwen and the day that Qrow saved her life, lines from Grímnismál that talk about Huginn and Muninn are written across the top of the chalkboard.
- "Hugin and Munin fly each day over the spacious earth. I fear for Hugin, that he come not back, yet more anxious am I for Munin."
- Prior to the events of Volume 3, Qrow spends his time going on missions around Remnant gathering information for Ozpin.
- Qrow has a very strong connection with crows, which is particularly seen in "Tipping Point" when a crow is switched with Qrow himself as he rushes to Ruby Rose's rescue.
- His flask
There is no visible difference between the currently available concept art and final version of Qrow's appearance.
- While only officially given a name by Monty Oum when RWBY was created, the character Qrow is based on what had been a brainchild of the show's creator for nearly a decade. He had gone through many design iterations, but both his personality and combat style have essentially prevailed over the years.
- After Volume 3, Rooster Teeth changed animation software from Poser Pro 2013 to Autodesk Maya. With this change, the animation department also made all new models for RWBY.