Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Ozpin alludes to the Wizard of Oz, from the novel of the same name. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and show:
- The initials of the Wizard's name, Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, spell OZPINHEAD, which may be the origin of Ozpin's name, as well as his position as headmaster of Beacon Academy.
- The Wizard lived in Emerald City, and Ozpin's green motif likely comes from this.
Ozpin's emblem is a gear within a larger gear. This emblem appears on two of Ozpin's possessions:
- A metal circle on the front of his desk.
- Above the elevators in his office in Beacon Academy.
In the original Volume 1 Opening storyboard, the glasses Ozpin is wearing are differently shaped and larger than the ones he wears in his final design.
- Ozpin was originally going to be voiced by Monty Oum.
- In the original Volume 1 Opening storyboard, Ozpin is shown sitting in a chair with Glynda standing nearby. A glint on his glasses turns into a flash of light, which acts as a transition.