|Rooster Teeth Employee(?)||
June 22, 1981 (age 32)
Director, Writer, Animator, Voice Actor
Monty Oum is the creator, director, writer, animator and a voice actor of RWBY. He currently works for Rooster Teeth Productions, where he originally started animating the popular Machinima series Red vs. Blue in its eighth season. He has also worked on several individual fan projects, such as Dead Fantasy and Haloid, although he has stated that his main goal is to create an original series, which came to pass with RWBY. He voices Lie Ren.
The Beginning of RWBYEdit
The idea for the RWBY series was in Monty's head since Season 9 of Red vs. Blue. One night while at IHOP with Shane Newville, Monty decided he was going to design the world for RWBY right there. He decided to start on his world because, according to him, "geography determines your culture and culture determines your people" (Monty's Journal 11/7/12), so his world was created with a napkin and some ketchup.
According to Monty, Burnie Burns had told him that as long as he finished Red vs. Blue Season 10, he could do whatever he wanted. And thus, after he pitched the premise of the show, he got permission to go through with RWBY.
- As a very time efficient person, Monty has ripped out certain keyboard keys that don't contribute to his work.
- Monty is a high school drop out.
- Monty is Cambodian, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese.
- Monty was meant to voice Headmaster Ozpin before he chose Shannon McCormick instead.
- Monty often includes a crow in his works, which is possibly referenced by the character of Qrow.
- Monty is allergic to cats.