Overview Image Gallery
They appear as bracelets at first, but when activated, they cover Yang's hands and forearms gauntlets, acting as arm guards. The gauntlets have a golden color and the shells inside are red and orange.
Inside there are chambers that holster a magazine consisting of 12 shells, giving 24 shots in total when both gauntlets are fully loaded. A silver-ish gray barrel is concealed in the front of the gauntlet, aligned between the knuckles of the index and middle finger.
The gauntlets' offensive function is rooted in creating pulses of raw kinetic energy. They emit flashes of light resembling explosions or flames, and are capable of knocking enemies back great distances. However, they either have no solid projectiles, or the projectiles explode in contact with another surface.
The red shells probably explode on contact, as seen when Melanie Malachite slices a shell in half, causing both halves to hit the floor in two separate explosions. This is further supported by the fact that enemies are knocked back, but lack exit or entrance wounds that would be characteristic of being shot with a solid object. Of course, the lack of injuries could also be due to the use of Aura.
They are incredibly powerful, as a single punch from Yang knocked an entire dance floor outwards in a wave-like quake movement, knocking multiple foes off their feet with ease.
Similar to Ruby Rose with Crescent Rose, Yang uses Ember Celica for both attack and mobility, punching enemies and firing shots at them or using the recoil from the explosions to propel her great distances.
In "Heroes and Monsters", Yang had a costly encounter with Adam Taurus, involving Adam dismembering her right arm and the respective gauntlet with it. It is unknown if the weapon was recovered afterwards.
In "Taking Control", Yang spray painted her left gauntlet yellow along with her robotic arm.
- The word "ember" represents a dying or small fire, whereas "celica", derives from the Latin word coelica, meaning "heavenly" or "celestial".
- Ember Celica uses two sets of ammunition, much like Crescent Rose, although the effects of the two sets are not entirely clear.
- The first set is colored orange-gold with red tips (likely regular buckshot/shotgun slugs) where the second set is red with gold tips and has long-range capabilities.
- The second set may be miniature explosive rounds, given their effect upon impact when Yang shot them at Melanie and Miltia. Whether it is the rounds themselves exploding or an after-effect of Yang empowering her shots with her explosive/flaming Aura is unclear.
- Reference was made to Ember Celica in another Rooster Teeth animated webseries, X-Ray and Vav. In the background of the episode "X-Ray & Vav Rise", a pair of golden gauntlets are seen hanging on the wall of Hilda's lab.